Monday, August 18, 2008

Refrigerator pickles

Out in our small garden, this year's crop of cucumbers has been a disappointment.

Two of the vines gave up early on, and I've yet to determine why. The remaining two plants, while not producing as we'd hoped, so far have yielded six healthy fruit.

Last night I made a batch of cold-pickling brine (water, white vinegar and salt). This morning I harvested the cucumbers, plus a handful of jalapeño peppers and some fresh dill. With the addition of a few store-bought ingredients (garlic cloves, black peppercorns and red-pepper flakes), today I put up three jars of refrigerator pickles.


Obviously, these pickles are ridiculously easy to make -- the hardest part is seeing them in the refrigerator every day while waiting for them to reach their full potential. Since we're still polishing off two jars from last year, I think we can wait.