Thursday, June 18, 2009

Pathétique meets pathetic

In the moments before his CNBC interview began on Tuesday, Pres. Barack Obama killed a fly.

Swat! -- "I got the sucker," said the Leader of the Free World, to off-camera applause and laughter.

Anyone who's been conscious for the last 20 years knows what happened next -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, of course, issued a press release:

"We support compassion for the even the smallest animals. We support giving insects the benefit of the doubt."
PETA advocates catch-and-release, by the way, even for flies, and reportedly sent Pres. Obama a contraption that'll allow him to be less cruel next time.

I swear I'm not making this up. I only wish I were.

Oh, it doesn't surprise me that there are people who, for whatever reason, actually feel compassion for insects. Personally, I don't get that sort of thing, but ok, whatever.


It annoys the hell out of me, however, that we grant tax-exempt status to an organization with non-profit balls big enough to make a formal public statement chiding the President of the United States for killing a bug.

Like we care. Am I right?