Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Unspoken, understood

It's no secret that I value my right to keep and bear arms, and several readers have asked why I haven't written more specifically about the firearms I own, my experience and my recommendations.

It’s a reasonable question. During the CNN/YouTube Republican
debate, then-candidate Fred Thompson was asked about his guns.
"I own a couple of guns, but I'm not going to tell you what they are or where they are."
That pretty much sums up my attitude.

Yes, in certain forums and to like-minded individuals I've been known to disclose a few things -- but my disclosure is never complete, nor is it ever completely candid. In the current climate, to do otherwise would be imprudent.

Besides, my ego doesn't demand it.

When it comes to armed defense, like most subjects, I'm an enthusiastic student, not an expert. I'm hot on the trail of mastery, still with more questions than answers and much more to learn than to share. And while some might find my observations interesting, it's unlikely that I'll post them here -- not out of the question, but unlikely.

Someday I might say something nostalgic about a couple of old Depression-era Winchesters.


The rest, I think, will remain unspoken.