Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sharps: Diggin' the Gold

Because sharps has been the most popular recurring theme here on KintlaLake Blog, and by request, today I'm posting a few two-page spreads from The Golden Book of Camping and Camp Crafts. (Be sure to click on each image for a larger view.)

First, here's "Your Knife and How To Use It."


And here are two sections dealing with axemanship -- "The Ax and Its Care" and "Using the Ax in Camp."



I don't consider a kids' book to be sine qua non on the subject, of course. I offer these classic pages simply as sentimental snapshots, suspecting that others who grew up in the late 1950s and early 1960s will appreciate them as much as I do.

But for those who still turn up their noses at Golden Books, preferring their edged-tool reading with a longer beard, I'll close with an excerpt from Will C. Stevens' "
Sensible Outfit for Amateur Hikers," which appeared in the May 1914 issue of Outing -- enjoy.