Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Choice

From early childhood, words attributed to Patrick Henry were imprinted both in my head and on my heart:
"Give me Liberty, or Give me Death!"
Such expressions of commitment and courage are anathema to today's youth and, sadly, to the masses that choose entitlements over independence. These citizens dismiss the wisdom of our Founding Fathers, favoring instead the likes of Bill Maher:
"Well, sometimes you do need a nanny state -- that old thing about, 'the Constitution isn't a suicide pact.' I mean, at what point does the environment get so bad that we -- that the government says, 'Yes, we're going to have to infringe on your freedom a little'?

"These people don't want
any infringing on freedom. That, to me, is a suicide pact."
Patrick Henry, I think, would have been proud to count himself among "these people" so maligned by the patronizing Maher.

I know I am. Like Henry, I choose Liberty.

I'll wrap with a video released by Free Market America on Earth Day 2012, which was observed last Sunday. The video makes a powerful statement about how our government has squashed economic Liberty and, in the process, sabotaged our future.