Monday, December 7, 2009

Sharps: Sharp

Our teenage spawns have watched a number of knives enter and leave my hands over the last year or so. Sometimes they're impressed with a particular blade, at other times nonplussed. You'll have that.

They're quite familiar with my penchant for keenness, too, often observing me slicing paper to gauge a new knife or assess my progress in honing an old one. It’s fair to say that they expect it.

The younger boy was around last week when a Bark River Mountain Man arrived in the mail. I opened the box, pulled out the knife and turned it over in my hands briefly before passing it to him.

After a minute or so he returned it to me, knowing what was coming next. I picked up a single sheet of printer paper with my left hand, holding it out in front of me between thumb and forefinger, and with my right I poised the Mountain Man over the upper edge of the sheet.

Bringing blade into contact with paper, I let the thin convex grind cleave the fibers effortlessly, a sliver of the sheet falling to the floor at our feet.

The 14-year-old watched the ritual intently. His eyes followed the knife, then the curled sliver. He stared at it for a moment before looking up and speaking softly, with a tone approaching reverence.

"That never gets old."

Indeed.