Saturday, November 1, 2008

November's dawn

The month of November is rising over our home clear, bright and with the promise of an afternoon high in the mid-60s. Mrs. KintlaLake and the spawns are still asleep -- she's collecting her reward for a tough week of work, and the young ones are recovering from All Hallows' Eve escapades.

With the spawns off doing their teenage thing last night, my wife and I enjoyed a rare dinner-for-two. I'd made a pot of my signature all-day chili, which we complemented with fresh-from-the-baker farmhouse bread and pints of Rogue Dead Guy Ale -- our favorite brew and, we decided, quite appropriate for a Halloween meal.

Simple pleasures.

After dinner and quiet conversation, I retired to this keyboard to finish October's last post. My decision was neither easy to make nor easy to articulate, but this morning I feel more resolved than ever about my patriotism and citizenship.

My choice, my voice, my vote.

Between now and Tuesday morning, of course, I'll be making a number of other decisions about issues and candidates. I may or may not write about my choices before Election Day, but it's safe to say that I'll again be exercising my precious privilege in what I believe is the best interest of my nation, my state, my community and, most especially, my family.

Independence, above all.