Friday, November 21, 2008

Tradition's Eve

"Because I couldn't go for three." (former Ohio State football coach Woody Hayes, after the Buckeyes' 50-14 win over Michigan in 1968, on why he went for a two-point conversion with a 36-point lead and 1:23 to play)

"Men, this is war. I don't give a damn about the national championship or the Big Ten championship, but if we win this game today and, afterward, if the Good Lord says, 'Woody, it's your time,' I'll say, 'Lord, I'm ready.'" (Woody Hayes, from his locker-room speech before OSU's 21-14 win over Michigan in 1975)

"I can assure you that you will be proud of your young people in the classroom, in the community, and most especially in 310 days in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on the football field." (Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel, speaking at halftime of an OSU-Michigan basketball game on January 18, 2001 -- the day he was hired -- in what's become known simply as "The Promise." Tressel's record against the Wolverines is 6-1.)