Saturday, February 28, 2009

CPAC run

The Conservative Political Action Conference is, I'm glad to say, over.

CPAC, for the unenlightened, is the right-wing political equivalent of the ugly American tourist who expects to be understood by speaking to the natives LOUDER and more s-l-o-w-l-y.


I watched as much of it as I could stand.

Honestly, I can't fathom how three days of third-grade insults and utility-grade intellect will strengthen "the conservative movement," as I often heard it called from the CPAC rostrum. If there really is such a thing, that "movement" looks less like a political revolution and more like a biological function.

The event was not so much cathartic as colonic.

CPAC didn't merely condemn conservatism -- it underscored the failure of all narrow ideologies, whatever their goals or guises, reminding us of the danger that extremism poses to our nation.

Wise up, People.