Monday, March 2, 2009

March on

Popcorn, please: The elected leader of the Republican Party (a black man) and the de facto leader of the Republican Party (a talk-radio personality) are locked in a steel-cage death match. I haven't been this excited about a battle-of-wits since Palin-Biden. Yawn.

Have another: Too-big-to-fail AIG, which sucked up $150 billion in federal bailout money, declared a fourth-quarter loss of $62 billion. Naturally, the government responded to the news by pledging another $30 billion to the insurance giant.

Slip-slidin' away: Today the Dow sloughed off another 300 points, about 4.25%. Last time the index dipped below the 6,800 mark, our younger teenager was barely a toddler.

Just spectacular: Last week I got a long-overdue eye exam and, at my wife's urging, I ordered my new prescription in a pair of oh-so-hip frames. I dunno about this -- I've always said that there's nothing so sad as an old guy trying to look hip.

Sobriety check: For the first time in over a week, I'm not under the influence of NyQuil or DayQuil -- I've had an uncommon amount of trouble ridding myself of this particular common cold. My persistent snuffering didn't keep us from going out to see John Schwab play solo on Saturday night, but it did limit us to one set and two beers.

Change of address? The future of Hineygate, the world's largest tailgate party and a favorite game-day destination for Mrs. KintlaLake and me, is in doubt. At the end of this month, The Ohio State University will assume ownership of the Holiday Inn that's hosted the event since 1983, intending to turn the hotel into a dorm. Our debauchery might have to find a new home.