Monday, March 30, 2009

Sharps: Of all the dumb luck...

Yeah, I know I said I was done talking sharps for a while, but something just happened that deserves a post.

I caught a bit of flak from a reader recently, good-naturedly needling me for gushing about Bark River and Blind Horse knives to the exclusion of other worthy American-made sharps. He suggested that I give Alabama's RAT Cutlery a try -- specifically, the RC-4, a mid-sized fixed-blade knife which fills about the same niche as Bark River's Bravo-1.

Agreeing to accept this reader's unconventional buy-and-pass-along offer, I juggled some funds and looked for a RAT dealer in Ohio, ultimately settling on the-knife-connection up in Alvordton. I chose the plain-edge RC-4P with gray Micarta handles, placed my order via the dealer's website, did the PayPal thing and sat back to await USPS delivery, probably before the end of the week.

About an hour later I was doing some reading about the RC-4 and surfed into KnifeForums.com. I spotted a new thread started in the RAT forum by Dale Stoops, the guy who runs the-knife-connection, announcing the latest winner of his "Every 30th Order is Free (up to $100)" promotion.

I must've read and re-read that post a half-dozen times -- right there in front of me was my name. I nearly fell out of my chair.

So in a few days, I'll have an almost-free RAT Cutlery RC-4 in my hands. I'm jazzed, of course. Count on my first impressions to appear here soon.

Earlier posts
Sharps: Rite of passage
Sharps: Heartland blades

Links
the-knife-connection
RAT Cutlery Co.
KnifeForums.com