Friday, March 13, 2009

In my mind I'm goin'...

I hooked the heel of my boot on the rung of the stool and rested the body of the 12-string on my thigh. Forming a chord with my left hand and fidgeting with the pick in my right, I looked out over a hundred broad smiles, the bright eyes of friends anticipating an encore. As was tradition, I turned to hear my bandmate's familiar words.

"Meet you at the end," he whispered, grinning.

First one, then two and finally four acoustic guitars strummed the opening strains, throttling back as the vocals began.

She came to me, said she knew me
Said she'd known me a long time;
And she spoke of being in love
With every mountain she had climbed...
The timbre of 36 steel strings and a quartet of young men's voices filled the room. Summoning my best falsetto, I added the high, descant-like harmony.
And she talked of trails she'd walked up
Far above the timberline.
From that night on I knew I'd write songs
For Carolina in the pines...
Thirty-three years ago we were just four guys who led songs at a summer camp and played a few coffee houses each year. The passage of time hasn't convinced me that we were great but we were pretty damned good, and despite having a short play list we developed quite a following.

"Carolina in the Pines," the Michael Martin Murphey standard, was our signature. We always saved it for last.

There's no guesswork in the clockwork
Of the world's heart or mine.
There are nights I only feel right
With Carolina in the pines...
Our particular rendition of "Carolina" was breathless, not at all like Murphey's original but equaling its joy and vigor. The hard-driving performance usually had the knuckles of my pick hand bleeding, adrenaline often overtaking rhythm and common sense.
And we'll talk of trails we walked up
Far above the timberline.
There are nights I only feel right
With Carolina in the pines.
As we struck the last chord the crowd jumped to their feet and cheered. My bandmate leaned over and reminded me that we "always finish on time."

And we always did. Everyone ought to have a memory like that.