Sunday, May 17, 2009

Folklore & forecasts

It's a wonderfully brisk morning, temps in the low 40s, unusually chilly for mid-May in central Ohio. Last night I heard one of the local TV stations promoting its [cue music] Storm Team with a bit of folklore:
"Thunder in February, frost in May."
I hadn't heard that one before. Allegedly it's a common Appalachian belief, and we did have a round of thundersnow a few months ago.

Sure enough, a light frost is predicted for tonight. Who knew?

The [cue music] Storm Team, apparently.

It won't rock my world, one way or the other, since for the first time in three years I won't be planting. Ordinarily I'd rely on the time-tested plant-after-Mother's-Day maxim, but our household move means that our small garden plot is untilled, untended.

I'm hoping to harvest a few of the perennial herbs before we're out of here, maybe even some raspberries. The wild canes won't start bearing fruit for another month or so, however, and we have much to do between now and then.

By the end of the day yesterday, I'd all but finished packing the contents of the barn and the garage, leaving only daily-living items and a pile of stuff we'll sell at our garage sale next month. The house is another story, but still, we've made good progress.

Today is bright, clear and cool. Time for me to get back to work.