Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sharps: Re-sheathing the Little Creek

From the moment that I first picked up my Bark River Knives Little Creek last month, I've fancied it a candidate for neck carry. The bushcraft-style sheath supplied with the knife, however, wasn't quite what I had in mind.

While cruising about on KnifeForums the other day, I spotted a second-hand Bark River sheath for sale, one originally intended for a Mini Canadian. I did some eyeballing and cyber-measuring and, figuring that $10 was a modest price for an experiment, I bought it.

The sheath arrived from its previous owner in Texas in yesterday's mail. To my delight, it turned out to be an absolutely perfect fit for the Little Creek, so this morning I tackled the question of whether or not I could turn the combination into a decent necker.

I threaded a three-foot length of ACU gray paracord through two of the sheath's eyelets and then through a double-feed cord lock. The cord lock will allow adjustment of the rig's "ride height."

On the back of the sheath, I crossed the cord under the belt loop (for stability) and fused* the ends rather than knotting them. The joint is hidden under the belt loop.

The result, I'm pleased to say, is a near-ideal neck rig. It balances well, rides flat and doesn't insist on twisting when I lean over and the sheath dangles away from my chest.

Best of all, in my opinion, the centerpiece of this mixed-and-matched setup is one dandy little knife. Ten bucks and five minutes simply gave me a new reason to look forward to carrying it.

*See update here.