Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Sharps: Just one more

I know I've written about pocketknives a couple of times already over the last month -- a moose and a trapper, as well as a pair of Scout knives. If you'll permit me another...

I've been carrying this slipjoint, a Tidioute #25 Barlow by
Great Eastern Cutlery, quite a bit lately. It's a "baby Barlow," just three inches long when closed, the kind of knife that easily bridges the gap between everyday utility and dressier affairs.

The #25's spear-pattern main blade and smaller clip are of 1095 carbon steel. The knife has great fit and finish, with nickel-silver bolsters, brass liners (three) and brass pins. Its scales are what GEC calls "Tractor Green Jigged Bone."

After really putting the spurs to this knife, I judge it very stout for its size -- no wiggle, no wobble, strong snap. Edge-holding is good, too, and I've begun the process of convexing the larger blade, leaving the clip with its original bevel.

(Incidentally, I had a chance to handle a number of GECs earlier this year. This is the only one I bought, however, because it's the only one with backsprings that weren't absurdly stiff. Reportedly that's the way Great Easterns are because that's the way Great Eastern collectors like them. I'm a user, not a collector, and for me there's no good reason for a slipjoint pocketknife to be a "nailbreaker.")


Suggested retail for the Tidioute #25 Barlow is just shy of $130, with a street price around $70. That's dear, especially considering alternatives from makers like Canal Street, Case and others.

That's not to imply that this isn't a great little knife or that it's not worth the price. I'm simply saying that it's not the only high-quality, American-made option -- buyer's choice.