Saturday, February 5, 2011

Saturday-morning rewind

It's quiet here in the KintlaLake household, as I'm the only one who's stirred at this hour on a Saturday. Sitting at my desk, sipping coffee from a stoneware mug, I found myself browsing Google Books -- specifically, trolling its trove of old magazines.

The first article that caught my attention today was "The Scout and His Equipment," penned for the February 1934 issue of Boys' Life by the incomparable Dan Beard.

There's nothing earth-shaking in the piece, certainly. It's basic and, from a modern perspective, undeniably quaint. To the clear-eyed reader it's also obvious that it was placed to accompany dozens of "official" product pitches from the likes of Remington, Eveready, Ulster, Marble, Buster Brown, Plumb, Johnson & Johnson and others.

Seems the "special advertising section" isn't exactly a new concept.

Beyond the commercial slant, and given my own affection for sharps, one particular line stood out to me:

"A boy without a knife is as bad as a canoe without paddles, a lumberman without an axe, or a girl without a compact."
Uncle Dan was right about that, of course. Knowing that present-day Scouts are explicitly discouraged from carrying knives, however, his words have almost a poignant ring.

Moving on to a 1950 issue of Popular Mechanics, I flipped through a primer on "
Trail Knives," which prominently (and intentionally, I'd wager) featured Marble's fixed-blades and the Woodsman's Pal.

Last I landed on the June 1919 issue of Popular Science, where I found reader Rodney Bryson's advice on what to do with old inner tubes (pictured at right).

Strange -- he didn't call them "
Ranger Bands."

Whenever I catch myself craving the latest and greatest something-or-other, rewinding through these old publications often reminds me that there truly is nothing new under the sun.