Thursday, March 31, 2011

Urban Resources: The .pdf library

Today's savvy keyboard kommandos are familiar with Adobe Reader, the popular document-sharing software that allows us to read .pdf files. It's loaded on most new PCs, and even if it's missing, it's free to download and upgrade (here).

Most of us take Adobe Reader for granted, noticing it only when it shows up on its own. I approach this urban resource differently, creating and maintaining a digital library of .pdf documents.

As I post this, that library has grown to 7.2GB. I've amassed nearly 2GB of reference materials on bushcraft and survival, 800MB on firearms, 150 maps, 200 military manuals and more. I have 2.5GB of instructions and related information on virtually everything I own -- from computers to cameras, radios to razors, security to SUVs.

All of these documents are available to me offline, with or without an Internet connection. Loaded onto a thumb drive they're easily portable. Yes, they require a working computer to view, and no, they're not EMP-proof, but that's what paper is for -- it's wise, of course, to keep a printed library of critical information.

The easiest way I've found to search for .pdf files is via Google. I type a search string, followed by:
filetype:pdf
Because my simple searches often are polluted by torrents and other spam, eliminating them from the results (or at least trying to eliminate them) cuts down on the annoyance:
-torrent -rapidshare filetype:pdf
To sleuth .pdf files on a particular website, I go to the site and use Google Toolbar, entering filetype:pdf in the search box and choosing Search Site from the adjacent drop-down menu. The same can be done via the Advanced Search option on Google.

I've found Google Books to be another source of useful .pdf files. I confine my searches to items offering Free Google eBooks and, when viewing a publication, I look for a Download or PDF link in the upper-right corner of the page.

Other favorites: The Internet Archive and Scribd. Slideshare, although it hosts mostly PowerPoint files, is worth mining for .pdf docs, too.

It's about knowledge, and there's a lot of it out there. With a little creative surfing, it's possible to build a considerable library.