Thursday, February 23, 2012

A moment from last night's GOP debate

Rick Santorum: "I have to admit, I voted for ['No Child Left Behind']. It was against the principles I believed in, but, you know, when you're part of the team, sometimes you take one for the team, for the leader, and I made a mistake.

"You know, politics is a team sport, folks."


Ron Paul: "Once again [Santorum]...was for 'No Child Left Behind' -- but now he's running for president, now he's running to repeal 'No Child Left Behind'....and he calls it 'a team sport.' He has to go along to get along and that's the way the team plays. But that's what the problem is with Washington. That's what's been going on for so long.

"I don't accept that form of government. I understand it. That is the way it works. You were with the majority. You were the Whip and you organized and got these votes all passed. But I think the obligation of all of us should be the oath of office...and it shouldn't be the oath to the party. I'm sorry about that, but it isn't the oath to the party -- it's the oath to our office.

"To obey the law -- and the law is the Constitution."