Saturday, January 16, 2010

Intuition confirmed

It was a good day at the shop. I made a few sales that surprised me, found some parts I expected would elude me and generally felt good about the beginning of my last full week on the job.

Bright sunshine and unseasonably mild temps were the icing on a tasty workday cake.

There was another feeling, however, that I couldn't quite shake. I had a sense -- a strong sense -- that today would be my last day working there. It wasn't based on anything but intuition.

Turns out I was right.

I collected my paycheck and left the shop around 5pm, as usual, picking up pizza and calzone for my family on the way home. About 15 minutes into dinner my phone buzzed -- it was the owner, wondering aloud if there was anything on my desk that I needed to handle personally next week.

Strange question, that.

Eventually he got around to telling me that he'd already found someone to take my spot and asked if I'd mind terribly if today was my last day. We exchanged sincere gratitude -- mine for his confidence, he for my contributions -- and left it at that.

"It was great having somebody smart around here for a change," he chuckled before saying goodbye. "Besides me, I mean."

It was just a job and it lasted only ten weeks. It also was absolutely right, the best way I could've spent that time.

I'm moving on to something better -- and I get to do it now.