Thursday, April 1, 2010

No foolin'

I know people who won't do business on Friday the 13th, for fear of inscribing that date on some important document. While that seems silly to me, I'll admit to making damned sure that we didn't sign anything related to our new house today, the first of April.

And then this afternoon I got a phone call from the county sheriff's office -- my
Ohio CCW permit was approved.

On April Fool's Day, for cryin' out loud.

After getting off the phone and executing the requisite fist-pump, it occurred to me that remembering my renewal date five years from now will be a cinch. It's also worth noting that the gnarly background check, which reportedly averages about four weeks, got done in nine days.

An LEO friend of mine says that's because our sheriff is efficient, but I'm inclined to chalk it up to five decades of clean livin'. Whatever the reason, I'll pick up my permit in the morning.