Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Don't flatter yourself

The White House just released Pres. Barack Obama's original birth certificate -- y'know, the unofficial version with no legal significance whatsoever. It's the one that so-called "birthers" have been clamoring for, the one that Donald Trump has been "investigating."

On hearing the news, Trump addressed the press in New Hampshire.
"Today I'm very proud of myself."

"I'm really honored -- I'm really proud that I was able to accomplish something that nobody else was able to accomplish."

"I take great credit."
Trump is not, as his soft-headed groupies are fond of saying, a successful businessman -- first and foremost he's a narcissistic huckster infatuated with the sound of his own voice. Near as I can tell, he's never in his life made a decision that wasn't in the calculated interest of either his net worth or his inflated ego.

George Will -- or his grandmother, actually -- has a word for Trump:
"He is what is called a 'blatherskite'...someone who blathers promiscuously."
And Charles Krauthammer draws an apt parallel:
"Trump is the Al Sharpton of the Republican party -- provocateur and clown."
This shameless self-promoter has no business (you should pardon the expression) being considered seriously for President of The United States, an office that requires a balance of thoughtfulness, passion and selfless patriotism. Hell, give me 'til this time tomorrow and I'll find you a better candidate for the Republican Party nomination in a neighborhood bar at closing time.

Trump has demonstrated no capacity for critical thought; what passes for passion is nothing more than pomposity. Worst of all, his conduct is anything but that of a patriot.