Friday, April 29, 2011

Steel for the Missus

I devoted part of Monday's "Prying ayes" post to the Exhumer™ that now rides in my TrailBlazer. My wife doesn't carry a pry-bar, per se, in her truck. Instead, she's chosen this beast:


That's an Armstrong 1-1/4 inch single-head open-end wrench. It's just under a foot long and at least twice as heavy as my Exhumer 9.

Chicago-based Armstrong Tools has been in the manufacturing business full-time since 1900. The age of this particular wrench is a mystery to me, but judging by its condition it's been around for quite a while. I snagged it for five bucks at a garage sale some years ago. (Today's equivalent will set a buyer back about $40.)

MADE IN U.S.A. is clearly visible on the head of this wrench, as it is on current-production Armstrong tools. From the company's website:
"Armstrong Tools are still, and will continue to be made in the U.S.A."
Now, please permit me to introduce the elephant in the room: Mrs. KintlaLake doesn't expect to do any wrenching with this wrench, any more than I'm likely to be prying stuff with my pry-bar.

To be clear here, we tote these tools so that we have something to swing in an emergency. The purpose may be self-defense or escape. The target may be an attacker, or it could be the window of a burning or submerged vehicle.

In a wilderness-survival situation, the primary field-expedient weapon is the club. My missus and I simply are applying a variation of that principle to everyday life.