Saturday, May 14, 2011

Seven days to go...

Mark your calendars: Judgment Day begins one week from today.

According to Harold Camping -- a notoriously incorrect preacher, a guy I've called a "doddering nutjob" -- on May 21st,
"There's going to be a huge earthquake. It will be an earthquake far greater than any earthquake that has ever happened before."
Exactly five months later, Camping says,
"The whole world will be completely annihilated. It will completely disappear."
I have a question: If the world is gonna end in October, why the hell did I bother paying my income taxes?

Those of us who check "other" when asked to identify our religious affiliation aren't buying the snake oil Camping is selling, of course. It's amusingly fascinating nonetheless.


I wasn't surprised to learn that at least one enterprising atheist has turned Christian prophecy to his financial advantage. It's more than a little disturbing, however, that Eternal Earth-Bound Pets USA claims more than 250 customers on its books.

Unfortunately, it's a little late now to come up with my own Judgment Day money-making scheme. I'm just relieved that I didn't buy the extended warranty on this computer.