Saturday, May 14, 2011

Till today

When we moved here a year ago, the garden plot in our back yard was piled high with cut brush, yard debris and some trash. It looked like it hadn't been planted in ten years, maybe more.

While it would've been nice to put in a vegetable garden back then, we had plenty of other to-dos on our plate. (For evidence, note how many times I posted here last May.) So rather than rush things, we took a full 12 months to prepare the soil.

We've had a very rainy spring around here, and it wasn't dry enough to get gardening until last week. First, using our electric tiller, I turned autumn's mulched leaves, which had broken down nicely. Next I harvested the "black gold" from our compost bins and worked that rich organic matter into the soil as well.

Today I was back at it again, beginning with the tiller and finishing the job with an iron rake and my dad's old shovel. I worked the 200-square-foot plot for a good two hours, ultimately building five raised beds.

I'm thrilled with the way our garden-to-be is shaping up. Right now the aroma is absolutely amazing and the soil is full of big, fat, happy earthworms.

If I were green, this is where I'd want to live.

Some folks probably would screen this soil -- it's fluffy, still with recognizable chunks that haven't broken down completely -- but I've never been much for screening. We'll choose our veggies and seeds and move straight to planting, probably over the next week or two.