Tuesday, September 15, 2009

One for 'The Bucket List'

Someday before I leave this earth, I'll attend the world's greatest motorsports event -- the Isle of Man TT.

Chances are you've never heard of the Isle or the motorcycle races held there each year. And in this age of energy-absorbing barriers, head-and-neck restraints and restrictor plates, maybe that's a good thing, because the IOM TT isn't about safety.

It's all about speed, endurance and, most of all, courage.

Perhaps the coolest thing about the IOM TT is the circuit itself: in a single lap, a rider must negotiate an estimated 200 corners over 37.75 miles of public roads that wind through towns and snake over mountains.


Winning is the goal, but simply surviving the Isle is an achievement.

I may not make it to the IOM TT next May, but I will get there one of these days. Take a look at this video and tell me that you don't want to go, too.