Sunday, November 29, 2009

Impressions: Little kit


Call 'em stocking stuffers, if you like -- 'tis the season, after all -- but recently I acquired three blog-worthy pieces of kit in small packages. Each fills a particular preparedness need (or two). Each is made in relatively limited quantities, right here in the USA, and is guaranteed for life.

#1: Bark River Knives Bravo Necker. I first
posted about this knife after its launch late last month, but it wasn't until yesterday morning that my very own Bravo Necker arrived in the mail.

I was right -- it's a winner.

The Bravo Necker, as a system, flat works. The standard-issue Kydex sheath is so good that I'm not pining for high-zoot leather pants, and the handle slabs (I opted for black-and-green Micarta) are a perfect fit. I like the firesteel sleeve molded into the Kydex, too.

Bark River leaves it to the user to supply a tether for neck carry, so I picked up a three-foot ball chain ($1.69) in the ceiling-fan aisle of our local hardware store. I may switch to a paracord lanyard later, but for now the chain serves me just fine.

I have only two complaints, both related to the four Allen-head machine screws (a hex key is supplied) and two threaded collars that secure the handle slabs to the skeletonized tang. First, the screws should've been slot-heads or even Phillips -- that hex key is just one more thing to carry (and misplace).

Also, it's safe to predict that sooner or later the tiny hardware bits will escape when trying to access the capsule-sized hidden compartment, especially with cold or gloved hands. I plan to reduce the number of pieces from six to four with SuperGlue or LocTite, semi-permanently fixing two of the screws to the threaded collars.

But those are nits -- this is a great concept and a great knife. In fact, I think I want a second Bravo Necker, sans handles, so that I can try a paracord wrap on the tang. That'll also give me another sheath, which I expect to equip with a paracord harness that'd put the rig under my weak-side arm.

#2: K & M Match Case. The waterproof match case arguably is as common as the pocketknife, and over the years I must've owned a dozen or more. None of those steel or plastic cases, however, compares to the ones made in an Idaho garage by Keith and Marge Lunders.


The press-fit stopper of the K & M case seals with a pair of rubber o-rings and is held fast with a twist of the double-cord lanyard. The interior surface of the stopper is machined to be a striking surface for Ohio Blue Tip or Diamond strike-anywhere matches.

Set into the outside of the stopper is a liquid-damped Suunto compass -- a useful pathfinder, by no means an el cheapo button compass. K & M supplies a slip-on cap to protect the face.

Each K & M Match Case is precision-machined from solid bar stock, either aluminum or brass. The standard-length case measures 3.875 inches long overall; for oversize matches, a longer version (4.25 inches) is available.

The craftsmanship on my standard-length, red-anodized aluminum case is just exquisite. K & M has created a work of utilitarian art that's earned a permanent place among my kit.

#3: Tru-Nord Compass. If I called this compass a jewel or a gem, I wouldn't be speaking figuratively -- the Tru-Nord is a piece of jewelry which could (if you know how to use it) save your life.


The Tru-Nord is manufactured, assembled and packaged in Brainerd, Minnesota, just as it's been for over 60 years. Its case is lathe-turned from solid brass rod. The dry compass movement floats on a polished, tapered pinnacle and is covered by a Lexan lens. Simplicity and precision combine to make the Tru-Nord truly waterproof and shock-resistant.

Now here's what's really cool: each Tru-Nord Compass is compensated for a specific region of the country -- that is, it provides a correct "Grid North." Mine happens to be set for central Ohio, but if I were to move to, say, New Mexico, I could return it (with $3 to cover postage) and Tru-Nord would re-compensate it for the Southwest.


When I eventually do make my longed-for trip back to Kintla Lake I could, of course, order another Tru-Nord compensated for northwest Montana -- and I will.

It's hard to describe how solid and capable the Tru-Nord is. Consider it highly recommended.

* * *

It's hard not to love simple things done extraordinarily well. Come Christmas Eve, each member of the KintlaLake family will find one of these essentials in their stocking.

Who's getting what? I'm not telling -- Santa doesn't give up his secrets.

Earlier post
Sharps: Neck-and-neck

Links
Bark River Bravo Necker
K & M Industries
Tru-Nord