Thursday, November 26, 2009

We interrupt this commercial...

I remember loving the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade when I was a kid. Watching it now, I see it for what it's become (or maybe what it's always been) -- a three-hour commercial, interrupted only occasionally by something I want to see.

Mrs. KintlaLake and I sat through the annual affair anyway this morning, sipping our coffee while awaiting two particular entries.

Our patience was rewarded when my wife's hometown high school's marching band strode up to the reviewing stand during the first half of the parade. An alumna of the then-cross-town band, she judged the group worthy of its selection. (Natch.)

The last of the eleven bands in this year's Macy's parade hails from right here in our community. Their ranks were tight, their music crisp and their performance, according to us, spectacular.

It feels a wee bit silly that a bunch of teenagers gave us chills today, but that's the truth. From the banks of Decker's Creek to our own village, it's a pride thing -- it's about home.