Saturday, November 14, 2009

Is it ok to believe?

My criticism of certain insubstantial public figures might lead a reader to conclude that independent critical thought is all that matters, that feelings and faith have no value.

That's not the point, of course.

In fact, operating purely from intellect is as insubstantial as relying only on emotion. A passionless person has little worth.

Head and heart coexist -- ἦθος and πάθος may not divorce. In proper balance, each informs the other, allowing us to see the world as it is.


So yes, it's ok to believe.

"If you don't stand for something," as the saying goes, "you're likely to fall for anything" -- an apt reminder of the pitfalls of living without purpose. Simply examining facts isn't enough. It certainly shouldn't be the end of the road.

Another aphorism, popular with the faith-full, goes like this: "God said it, I believe it and that settles it." Such a world-view manifests disregard for the (presumably) god-given gift of a working brain, faith that's as dangerous as it is blind.

Personally, I defer to the rational, or at least it's what I strive to do, but that's not to say that I hitch my wagon to reason alone. My values are products of observation, thought and emotion.


When I find myself in need of a tie-breaker, however, I remember the wisdom of Thoreau:
"In sane moments we regard only the facts, the case that is."
I'll explore the differences between facts and truth some other time. For now, here endeth the explanation.