Saturday, December 19, 2009

I'm dreaming of a...

It snowed here last night. It snowed this morning. It snowed all day long -- sort of, anyway.

Unlike areas to the south and east of here, namely the Appalachians and mid-Atlantic states, we got more of a dollop than a wallop, more wet than white. Temps danced around freezing, perfect for gloom and slush.

My morning commute to the shop was entertaining nevertheless -- for me, entertainment goes hand-in-hand with the season's first drive in wintry conditions. Business was slow today, though, and trudging out to the sloppy yard brought the promise of wet boots and chapped, aching hands.

But it's work, after all, and today was payday.

Regular income is good. Today's mail brought something better.

In April, I wrote about getting a badly needed
win -- convincing the bankruptcy trustee to accept my offer to buy back the non-exempt equity in my TrailBlazer and motorcycle over 12 months. And if that was the victory, today was the trophy presentation.

This morning, with trembling hands, I tore into an envelope from the trustee. Inside were the titles to the two vehicles -- mine again, free and clear, liens lifted.

Making that happen four months ahead of schedule was no mean feat, considering. Scrimp and save, scratch and claw. The job helped, sure, as did my share of our garage sale proceeds. An unexpected end-of-year bonus from a client and friend put me over the top.

Mrs. KintlaLake's trust, support and love kept me believing.

Today isn't a material triumph -- it's far more personal than that. I'm reminded of the closing lines of Robert M. Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance:

"...there is a feeling now, that was not here before, and is not just on the surface of things, but penetrates all the way through: We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things."
Legal and financial matters have been discharged. I'm working again. My family and I are together, safe and well.

Yes, it’s going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.