Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sharps: A closer look, by request

A KintlaLake Blog reader asked for another image or two of the knife I mentioned in my previous post, so here they are -- fingerprints, smudges, pocket-change scratches and all.


Specifically, it's a Kissing Crane #73 canoe, serial #032, scaled in yellow Delrin (I think). It bears the older-style round shield and the tang stamp reads "ROBT KLAAS / SOLINGEN / GERMANY." I don't remember what I paid for it, but I seem to recall having bought it from a mail-order catalog in the mid-'80s.


I'm told that the four-blade canoe pattern is unusual, if not exactly rare. And since virtually all KC production now has moved to China, this wonderfully practical knife is a tangible reminder of a time when "Solingen" actually meant something.