Saturday, February 20, 2010

Road trip III: Three old women

Interstate 95 took us south and I-64 east to Williamsburg after dawn this morning. We rolled up to the condo where my mother and my sister live just after noon.

Thus began a three-hour visit with two people I hadn't seen in five-plus years. It's a long story, and today wasn't quite the catharsis you might expect.

That said, the time we spent there was pleasant and long enough.

Turning back the way we'd come, next we prepared for another reunion of sorts, this time with one of my wife's old friends.

The deep snow was melting fast today up in the mid-Virginia foothills, making the unpaved roads muddy enough to deserve the label "quagmire." It was dark by the time we slithered to a stop in front of a log cabin hidden in the woods.

There are so many ways to describe my wife's friend -- Dutch, hippie, stroke victim, widow, free spirit. Tonight we ferried her to a store selling her brand of unfiltered smokes and took her out to dinner.

"Memorable" doesn't come close to describing the evening.

We'll slog back home tomorrow. Now I lay me down to sleep...


(posted via mobile phone)