Sunday, February 21, 2010

Road trip IV: The return

I'm sitting here in my office once again, drained of physical and emotional energy. We made it back to the house in good time late today, avoiding bad weather and beating the sun to the horizon.

Crossing the snow-covered mountains on I-68 was a pleasure during daylight hours, by the way.

My late father's oaken tool chest rests on my workbench. It represents the tangible cargo collected over the past 52 hours, but we brought home much more than that.

My family and I drew closer, grew stronger and gained a better understanding of the connections we share with each other. Through hours of conversation and countless moments that didn't require words, the four of us are more than we were on Friday afternoon.

Treasures fill that old tool chest and, thanks to a road trip, my heart is full as well.