Sunday, September 5, 2010

EDC revisited

Assembling an array of EDC tools is a process, not an event. My personal choices have evolved (and will continue to evolve) as my awareness, needs and abilities change.

A Palm Pre Plus and a Victorinox Farmer are holdovers, for good reason -- they work. Another phone will replace the Pre in due course but the Farmer, which lives in a leather pocket sleeve, is a keeper.

I still carry a light on my key ring (I'm constantly amazed at how often I use it) but I replaced the cheap squeezer with a Fenix E01. I did audition two other single-AAA lights -- neither holds a candle (you should pardon the expression) to the little Fenix.

An iTP EOS A3 proved less than durable and a Mag-Lite Solitaire, while American-made and sturdy as hell, is almost laughably dim compared to LEDs. The E01, in contrast, is bright and stout. It stays.

A wristwatch is an indispensable EDC item, one that I haven't mentioned 'til now. Not long ago I picked up a Casio AMW330D-1AV Dive Chrono in stainless steel, and it's well on its way to becoming my favorite watch -- ever. It's everything I ask a watch to be -- analog, accurate, water-resistant, readable (even in low light), rugged and inexpensive (less than a hundred bucks).

When I got my concealed-carry license in April, I knew that my Glock 19 would become my EDC handgun. Just how I'd carry it was far less certain.

After some experimentation I've settled on a Kydex
Comp-Tac Two O'Clock IWB holster. Appendix carry isn't for everyone, I know, and (depending on how I'm dressed) I often carry the G19 at 4 o'clock in a leather OWB rig, but right now I'm liking the Two O'Clock -- a lot.

Because two is one and one is none, I carry a spare 15-round mag, weak-side, in a simple Fobus paddle magazine pouch. My defensive round: Cor-Bon 115gr JHP +P.

I'll wrap this snapshot of my EDC inventory with the plain-edge Benchmade 556 Mini-Griptilian I've been toting since July. I bought it (somewhat impulsively) at a cozy
gun shop over in Morgantown and, having come to love the full-size 551 already, the Mini held no surprises -- same great knife, downsized for more convenient EDC.