Saturday, October 30, 2010

Rally cap

I love college football. Most autumn Saturdays I get comfortable in front of the TV around noon and try not to stir 'til bedtime.

It doesn't matter who's playing.

Today the
Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear really messed with my gridiron ritual. I clicked over to Comedy Central shortly after it began, meaning the visit to be brief, and I couldn't tear myself away.

I haven't laughed that hard in 30 years.

For me, the highlight was Yusuf Islam (f.k.a. Cat Stevens) singing "Peace Train"... until he was stopped by
Stephen Colbert, who presented Ozzy Osbourne... who belted out "Crazy Train" until his performance was interrupted by co-host Jon Stewart.

The duel continued until Stewart cajoled Colbert into climbing aboard a "Love Train," which was performed by... wait for it... the O'Jays.

Rallygoers' homemade signage deserves at least second billing. Three of my favorites:

DOES THIS SIGN MAKE MY BUTT LOOK FAT?

I'M NOT THREATENED BY YOUR POST-SECONDARY EDUCATION

I'M WITH GODLESS

The Stewart-Colbert event was one of those either-you-get-it-or-you-don't kind of things. I got a chuckle out of social activists' efforts to cast the rally as a sort of Hajj for progressives. Ditto pundits' stern-faced predictions about how the whole affair would come off. Now that it's done, attempts to analyze or critique it are likewise idiotic.

This was a big rally poking fun at big rallies, decorated with signs poking fun at political signs, glittering with stars poking fun at star power and medals poking fun at puffed-up awards. It was pure satire, pure entertainment, pure fun.

If you took it all seriously, you don't get it -- which probably means that you're still stewing about Yusuf Islam's appearance. And if that's the case, please click
here.

I'll be watching college football.