Sunday, October 10, 2010

This dog's day

My #2-ranked Buckeyes stomped Indiana yesterday. (Natch.) Michigan went down to rival Michigan State (for the third year in a row) and South Carolina upset #1 Alabama.

Now that's a good day.

The scribes and coaches who vote in the major polls must feel like they're stuck in a bad dream -- since 2003, OSU has squandered its high rankings and was embarrassed in its last two national-title games.

None of that matters this morning, and figuring out how the hell we'll beat Wisconsin at Camp Randall next Saturday night can wait 'til tomorrow. Right now, here in Buckeye Nation and beyond, what's important is this: We're #1!

* * *
Saturday also brought a few other reasons to smile, decidedly more personal reasons.


One of our neighbors, a kid who played his high-school football across the street, had himself a highlight-reel moment (pictured) in the first quarter of Bucks' 38-10 win over the Hoosiers.

Mrs. KintlaLake's WVU Mountaineers rolled UNLV, 49-10.


I attended OSU-Indiana with our 15-year-old, his first trip to The 'Shoe for something other than a Spring Game. Later I recounted the day's events to my wife, telling her what a great time the spawn and I had together.

"You got to see everything through the eyes of a child," she said, gauging the emotion in my voice.

"No, not exactly," I replied. "For the first time I got to see it through my father's eyes."