Friday, August 22, 2008

One better

A couple of weeks ago, I went shopping for a toothbrush. In the middle of the dental-care aisle was a virtual forest of choices -- literally thousands of devices, each promising to solve everything from gum disease to high gas prices.

Some spun, some vibrated, and some did both. Some played music. A number of them featured a tongue scraper, for anyone who actually does that sort of thing. Short handles, long handles. Straight handles, bent handles. Handles with a squiggle that wiggle in the middle.

If this is starting to sound like Dr. Seuss, that's exactly how it felt.

The closest I could come to an ordinary toothbrush was a two-dollar model with a piece of soft rubber, resembling a chunk of bath mat, nestled among its nylon bristles. I have no idea why it's there.

For the most part, "new and improved" is pure hype, nothing more. Just as I was about to make "simpler is always better" a personal rule, however, I discovered an exception.

I generally carry my keys clipped to a belt loop with one of those not-for-climbing aluminum carabiners. It's convenient, albeit noisy, and it eliminates the wad in my pants pocket. Most important, it helps me avoid the embarrassment of inadvertently tripping my car alarm or, worse, our home's security system. (Don't ask me how I know this.) Besides, these novelty 'biners are so cheap that they've become common giveaways.

Simple, functional and free. What could be better?

Enter the S-Biner™ by Nite Ize.

As the name suggests, its stainless-steel frame is shaped like the letter, and the S-Biner features two spring-loaded gates. Five sizes and three colors are available. Like cheap carabiners, S-Biners can be used to dangle key rings, water bottles, knife sheaths and the like.

Price? Between two and four bucks, depending on the size.

I've been using a couple of S-Biners for about a month. In addition to being sturdier and more secure than novelty carabiners, I've found them much easier to clip and un-clip. I'm impressed, and more than a little surprised.


I also agree with Backpacker magazine, which honored this humble little widget with its 2008 Editors’ Choice Award, when it said that S-Biners "rival duct tape and super glue in the cost-to-versatility department."

The S-Biner is better because it works better without being unnecessarily complicated or tarted-up. That's what makes it a real improvement, and I'll gladly pay a few bucks for that.