Monday, August 4, 2008

Traditional education

My formal education began at the age of five.

Seated on a three-slat wooden bench, I was handed a felt pennant and taught to wave it whenever the team wearing the scarlet jerseys scored, earned a first down, or hit the other team hard.

The classroom? Ohio Stadium.

I watched the irascible Hayes stalk the sidelines. I remember a fleet-footed halfback by the name of Warfield showing the promise of a future hall-of-famer. I followed Kern and Krenzel as they willed their teams to championships. I cheered ballhawks Stillwagon and Tatum, Gradishar and Luke, Hawk and Colzie. I saw the likes of Griffin, George and Smith earn their Heismans.

My storehouse of memories also holds the enticing aroma of hot dogs and the sweet pungency of cigar smoke, the taste of flat Coca-Cola and bitter hot cocoa. The first time I sang our national anthem was in that open-air classroom, and I learned the alma mater by reading the words printed on the back of a seat cushion. Later, I smuggled booze in and chunks of sacred turf out.

It's a thick, warm cloak of memories. I'm a lucky guy, and I know that.

Today, it begins again.

Oh, I know that kickoff is still almost four weeks away, but tradition -- Ohio State football tradition, that is -- demands that I celebrate absolutely everything. And today, the 2008 team holds its first pre-season practice.

The hype commenced months ago. Coming off a second straight national-title game -- yes, both were losses -- and thanks to the inspiring
return of last year's talented junior class almost completely intact, the hopes of Buckeye Nation are soaring. Prospective All-Americans abound. "Little Animal" again will prowl behind the defensive line. A kid named "Beanie" is on many pundits' early Heisman lists.

But please, please don't ask me for my prediction -- I'm a fan, dammit, not an analyst. My business is bias, when it comes to the Buckeyes, so I won't waste time trying to disguise that.

I bleed Scarlet and Gray.

So whatever happens between now and the first week of January simply will add to my treasure of memories. Up or down, I plan on enjoying the hell out of it.


But...come to think of it...I'd sell my eternal soul for just one more national championship...Go Bucks!