Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Belated comparo

On the October day that I reluctantly went car-shopping, sitting side-by-side in the dealer's used-car lot were a 2005 Chevy TrailBlazer and a 2006 Chevy Equinox. The two vehicles had virtually the same odometer readings and were priced identically. Both were base models, both white.

I ended up going with the TrailBlazer, perhaps somewhat impulsively, for two reasons: body-on-frame construction (as opposed to unibody) and conventional four-wheel drive (over all-wheel drive). I never did drive the Equinox.

When I dropped off my TrailBlazer yesterday for minor service, the dealer tossed me the keys to a 2008 Equinox LT AWD -- so now I have a chance to compare it, for a couple of days anyway, to the vehicle I chose.


After only a few miles behind the wheel, it was clear that I was driving a car, not a truck, reflecting the fundamental difference between the Theta "crossover" platform and the GMT-360 on which the TrailBlazer is based.

Ok, it's a station wagon -- not that there's anything wrong with that. I actually like station wagons. One of the vehicles I just traded away was a much-loved station wagon.

Both in impression and in reality, the Equinox is smaller than the TrailBlazer. Dimensions are cozier, but neither uncomfortable nor inconvenient. The passenger compartment is decidedly more car-like, right down to the ergonomics.

I'd expected the smaller, lighter Equinox to be more refined and more nimble than it is. It's not a clumsy buckboard by any means, but at parking-lot speeds it lacks the TrailBlazer's agility and, from highways to backroads, its ride is somewhat stiffer. Both, especially the latter, surprised me.

The Equinox's on-demand AWD setup, in concert with a traction-control system that the 4WD TrailBlazer doesn't offer, just plain works. I can't attest to its performance in something like deep snow, but when I buried the throttle on a steep, ice-covered hill, it charged up the incline without so much as a hiccup. Color me impressed.

The standard 3.4-liter V6 strikes me as, well, adequate. I don't mean to damn it with faint praise -- power comes on predictably, with decent grunt and no drama. The engine, like the drive system, works.

Judging by published numbers, the Equinox AWD beats the TrailBlazer 4WD in overall fuel economy by about 19% (19mpg vs. 16mpg), an advantage likely attributable to its 20% lighter weight, smaller engine and better aerodynamics. Because the AWD version of the Equinox carries just 16 gallons of fuel, however, the 22-gallon TrailBlazer can travel an estimated 16% farther (48 miles) on a full tank. It's a trade-off.

Comparing the two vehicles' EPA estimates got me interested in researching some of the other numbers that matter to me. Here's how the TrailBlazer stacks up, relative to the Equinox.
  • Horsepower: +49%
  • Torque: +31%
  • Power-to-weight: +23%
  • Ground clearance: -1% (just 0.1 inch lower)
  • Turning circle: -13% (5.4 feet tighter, that is)
  • Cargo capacity: +17%
  • Towing: +75% (2,600 pounds more)
My brief impression of this Equinox AWD is that it's a pleasant, respectable car -- er, crossover. It seems capable and comfortable, and it has clear advantages over a typical front-wheel-drive sedan or wagon. I might even consider it (used, not new) as a second vehicle.

That said, I made the right choice -- for me. My personal preferences, supported by specs that I consider important, tilt me toward the TrailBlazer's more truckish personality.

Your mileage, as the saying goes, will vary.