Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Bugging: The everyday BOV

Whenever the subject of "the ideal bug-out vehicle" comes up, I'm always amused at how many folks envision something like this:

Such a civilized beast is undeniably capable and admirably self-contained -- as well as horribly inefficient and dangerously ponderous.

Most of us live in the real world. Not only is the GlobeCruiser well beyond our means, we can't even justify dedicating a separate vehicle to the BOV role.

Pursuing the ideal wastes time, or at least it spends time poorly. As I wrote some months ago, "
the right stuff" is the stuff we have when we need it. On knives, for example, Mike Stewart of Bark River Knife & Tool said it well:
"The best bushcraft knife is the one you have with you and is best suited your needs and style of use -- not the needs of somebody that wrote a book on bushcrafting."
So if and when we decide to "
bug out" -- whatever that looks like, whatever the reasons -- we'll be doing so in the same vehicle we use to commute to work, shuttle our kids and haul groceries. That's a bargain we strike with our everyday lives, and when the SHTF, wishing for something perfect is futile.

When I acquired a 2005 Chevy TrailBlazer in October, I
speculated that "it might even be a worthy BOV." After a thousand miles, I've found it to be nimble, roomy and relatively fuel-efficient for its size; its conventional four-wheel drive and respectable ground clearance are bonuses.

As-is, it works.

That said, I'm going to do what I can -- cost-effectively and without transforming a plain-Jane SUV into some cobby Mad Max chariot -- to make it better. It still has to do its duty as a family wagon, but I believe that a handful of improvements can round it out. Here's what I have in mind.

1 - Reliability
The world's most capable vehicle becomes useless the moment it breaks, so my first task will be to perform routine-plus maintenance, stem to stern. In my experience, that's especially important when buying used, and even though mine is a "certified" vehicle, I'll change every fluid and replace every filter. I'll check each hose, belt, function and circuit. Even the wiper blades will get replaced.

2 - Efficiency
So far, this particular truck is giving me a full-to-fill range of about 300 real-world miles. I won't go crazy with exhaust and engine mods, but I want to see what a better air-filter element, new spark plugs and a squeaky-clean throttle body will do for fuel efficiency. I'm also researching the potential benefits of re-programming the powertrain control module (PCM). My goal is to bump the range to 350 miles.

3 - Communications
When the SHTF, it's likely that mobile-phone networks will be jammed, or even down entirely. Beyond the factory in-dash AM/FM, we already have short-range GMRS radios, a hand-held scanner and a compact shortwave set (with accompanying antennas and 12V adapters, of course). I expect to add a small CB transceiver to this vehicle, probably one of those all-in-handset Cobras with the NOAA weather feature. Information is power, especially in an emergency, so the idea is to have reliable ways to listen, not just talk.

4 - Lighting
My TrailBlazer is the base "LS" model, equipped only with conventional lighting. After replacing the 60W high beams with 100W bulbs and swapping for higher-output elements in the rear, I'll add auxiliary lights at both ends. I also expect to install supplemental hazards and an under-hood light. I'll go with power-conserving LEDs wherever practical, and all will be controlled via switches set into a factory blank on the dash.

5 - Undercarriage
I'm not building the ultimate off-roader, so there will be no lift kits, no heavy under-body armor. I simply want the important belly bits -- radiator, oil pan, transfer case and fuel tank -- to have a measure of protection if I need to detour, say, onto a rail bed. For that, the inexpensive four-piece kit offered by the factory will do just fine.

6 - Towing & Recovery
With 275hp and a matching torque number, the inline-six has enough power to get the TrailBlazer out of most trouble, or to pull something else of reasonable size (and reasonable stuckness). Both towing and recovery require attachment points -- two standard-equipment tow hooks serve that purpose in front, and I'll add a D-shackle "hitch" to the receiver in back. Simple.

7 - Safety & Power
A fire extinguisher will be mounted in the cargo compartment, along with our 400W power inverter. I'll install a 12V accessory outlet near the rear hatch opening.

8 - Up on the Roof
File this one under "nice to have" -- a safari-style cargo rack, bolted to the existing roof rails. It wouldn't be attached permanently, and it's probably unnecessary for anything short of a bona fide expedition, but it's on my wish list.

9 - Tires & Wheels
Also on the list is a set of mild all-terrain or mud-and-snow tires, mounted on an extra set of wheels. I'll wait to see how well the current set of all-season tires performs in the snow this winter before deciding if this item stays or goes.

The Rest
Notice that there's no mention of a brush guard -- this everyday BOV still must function as family mule, and I'm not interested in adding extra weight. I don't think I'll need a guard to mount extra lights, but if I do, it'll be a minimal safari bar.


How about GPS? Sure, but like mobile phones, GPS might not be there when the SHTF. There’s no substitute for good old-fashioned paper maps, and we carry a bundle of current ones, along with a compass.

Since this late-model Chevy comes with a large serving of electronics, tin-hatters probably won't like it, what with its vulnerability to EMP and all. (Whatever.) If we're talking TEOTWAWKI, however, the GMT-360 platform does have a benefit: availability of parts.

Millions have been built and sold since 2002, in two versions and a dozen trim levels under six different badges, so its "pick'n'pull" potential is significant. Hell, I just got back from my regular "school bus" run, mostly rural-residential roads, and I counted 22 -- in ten miles.

In the end, my TrailBlazer probably will never be called upon to serve as a BOV, and that's fine -- better to have it and not need it, as they say. The changes I've described will make it a more capable vehicle anyway, even in its vanilla, everyday role.