Thursday, December 18, 2008

Seasonal salutations

Happy Holidays!

Why not Merry Christmas? That's easy -- because when I offer you my greetings, it's an expression of respect and good wishes for what you celebrate, not an imposition of what I celebrate.

Maybe you celebrate Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa, or some ancient ritual involving a burning log. Maybe you don't celebrate anything at all, or maybe you're in it for the gifts. I don't know -- and because I don't know, I won't presume. So...


Happy Holidays!

But if you do mark the religious version of December 25th, then by all means, have yourself a merry little Christmas -- just don't demand that everyone adopt the particular significance that you ascribe to the holidays.

And please don't hand me the "reason for the season" line -- people were throwing big pagan parties this time of year long before mangers and virgins got into the act.

Don't get me wrong here -- I have no problem with true believers "putting the Christ in Christmas" and celebrating accordingly, nor do I object to Merry Christmas as a generic greeting. When I'm told, however, that Merry Christmas is the only proper way to express holiday wishes, well, that's where I get off the train.

This isn't about political correctness. It's about respect.

Suppose that on my next birthday I ran around wishing everyone a Happy Birthday, knowing that it doesn't hold the same meaning for anyone else, if it holds any meaning at all. That'd be patently silly, of course, as well as arrogant -- and no different from insisting that all of us embrace the Christian version of Christmas.


I love this time of year. I have a half-century of cherished memories, and the season holds special meaning for me. I promise that I won't impose my meaning on you and, with respect, I ask that you not impose yours on me. So, from my heart...

Happy Holidays! (inclusive)