Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Saving my hide

From shoes and boots to car seats and motorcycle jackets, I seem to have a lot of leather to take care of. I've learned, mostly through trial and error, that no single potion or paste works on every hide.

The shine on my dress shoes still comes from those same little tins of Kiwi polish I've used since I was a kid. I've cleaned and treated my biker gear -- jackets, chaps, saddlebags and seats -- with Lexol products, and I've become loyal to Griot's Garage Leather Care for auto upholstery. My favorite knock-around boots have gotten regular applications of Doc Bailey's. Over the years, I've used Sno-Seal on my hikers and saddle soap on just about everything.

Just when I thought I had leather care down to a personal science, I stumbled across something that threatens to retire almost everything else in my inventory.

The entire Montana Pitch-Blend line comprises just three basic compounds -- an oil soap, a conditioning oil and a dressing -- which are formulated using simple, natural ingredients: pine pitch, mink oil, beeswax and plant oils. None of these products contains silicone or petroleum.

I've been using Montana Pitch-Blend Products for almost two years now, starting with my Wesco boots and experimenting over time on other hides. According to directions, I've confined their use to what the company calls "rugged leather" -- they're not intended for lightweight "fashion" leather, suede or nubuck.

I'll leave it to the Montana Pitch-Blend people to explain how and why their products do what they do. All I know is that this leather-care system works better and lasts longer than anything else I've tried. And thanks to the all-natural ingredients, it's also a pleasure to use.

I'm not in the recommendations business. When I say good things about sharps, boots or gizmos, rest assured that I'm not paid to do so. I offer only my experience, giving praise where I believe it's due, and I don't chafe knowing that others make different choices.

With that in mind, then, I highly recommend Montana Pitch-Blend Products.