Saturday, June 6, 2009

Dodged a bullet

Today we made a bit more progress toward our move, hauling two SUV-loads over to our soon-to-be digs.

On my second trip, while letting the TrailBlazer coast down a hill just north of our house, I glanced at the speedometer -- 37mph. Since that was 12mph over the posted limit, reflexively I looked up at the rearview mirror.

A sheriff's cruiser was right on my back bumper. Shit.

The possibility of getting a speeding ticket wasn't what concerned me. See, at that moment I happened to be hauling virtually all of my family's home-defense inventory -- half of our hardware and 95% of our software, a very heavy load. Even though everything was locked and nothing was loaded, I began to imagine having an interesting conversation with a uniformed county employee.

I also found myself reconsidering the bright red ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ decal affixed to my rear window.

The cruiser turned right a half-mile later. I continued on to my destination without detention, paying close attention to my speed.

Note to self...