Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sharps: Suggestion box

Dear W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company:

First of all, I'm a lifelong fan of W.R. Case pocketknives, tracing back to the Case pen my dad carried even before I was born in the late 1950s.

These days I'm a user, not a collector. I write about knives (among other subjects), and I find myself recommending the Victorinox Farmer and old-design Soldier to people looking for a basic four- or five-blade "camper" pocketknife. I've even suggested a few knives that are no longer made -- like an old Ulster BSA, a Remington (Camillus) R-4 Utility and the military-issue Camillus Demo.

I wish I could recommend (and own, and use) a comparable Made-in-USA pocketknife as an alternative to the Swiss-made Victorinox -- spear-point blade, caplifter/screwdriver, can opener and awl (and possibly a saw). I know that Case offers the Jr. Scout, but it's relatively small and its price is much higher.

I'm not proposing that W.R. Case try to compete model-for-model and blade-for-blade with Victorinox -- I'm simply suggesting that your company consider producing a basic four- or five-blade pocketknife in the classic "camper" or "scout" pattern, with a street price under $40.

Thank you for your time, for your hard work, and for proving every day that the American worker still turns out great sharps.

Cordially,
KintlaLake