Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Shopping bags

My wife and I walked into a local Target store Sunday evening with slightly different shopping lists.

She: "I'm going to look for a new purse. Want to come along and help me pick one out?"

Me: "I'll catch up in a minute, hon' -- I need to grab a box of breast-milk storage bags."

Oh, there are a few things in our lives that really suck right now -- our bank balance and the 17-year-old's attitude, to name two -- but no one in the KintlaLake family is actually nursing.

So why in the Sam Hill is this (arguably) otherwise normal fifty-something guy on the prowl for breast-milk bags?

I learned that they make dandy water-storage containers for personal survival kits like the proto that I'm putting together. Sterile, compact and re-sealable, they'll replace the oven bags I'd been including in our own PSKs.

A few years ago, my Morgantown missus and I pledged our lives to each other, no matter what. I doubt, however, that she ever imagined that her husband would be cruising the breast-feeding aisle at Target.

Needless to say, she's very understanding -- and I'm one lucky man.